THREE COUNTIES GOLFING UNION 1951-74 – DYFED GOLFING UNION FROM 1974
The Union was formed at a meeting of representatives of Golf Clubs in Carmarthenshire, Cardiganshire and Pembrokeshire held at the Ivy Bush Royal Hotel, Carmarthen on 14th February 1951. Members present were from Ashburnham GC – Dr J Healy, WH Jory, C Powell and from Carmarthen GC – J Rowland Jones, A C Mitchell and Iori Davies.
It was resolved to hold an open meeting at Carmarthen GC on April 8th 1951 to which all possible member clubs be invited at which officers and committees should be appointed. The elections resulted in the following officers being appointed:-
Chairman – Dr J Healy, Ashburnham
Treasurer – A C Mitchell, Carmarthen
Secretary – Iori Davies, Carmarthen
Council members – W H Jory, C Powell, Ashburnham, Evan Evans, J Rowland Jones, Carmarthen, Darrell Rees, B M Mathias Thomas, Tenby, T B Jones, Chris Evans, Commander Miers, Llandeilo, Dr R E Isaacs, Borth, W H Roberts, Aberystwyth, W G Thomas, Haverfordwest and W E G James, Cardigan.
A constitution was drawn up with an Annual General Meetings held to this day.
Rules and regulations of the Union were drawn up with 18 hole constituent clubs to pay annual subscriptions of £2.2s.0d and 9 hole clubs to pay half fee resulting in an early credit balance of £36.18s.1p. A selection committee was formed and matches hastily arranged against Glamorgan and Monmouthshire Golf Unions beating both counties in 1952. However, no further success against Glamorgan until 1970. A regular match at Borth against the Narwhals(North Wales clubs) was arranged from 1953. T Henry Edwards was crowned first County Champion at Ashburnham in 1952. From 1954 until 1993 the County Captain also acted as Chairman of Committee. Five annual competitions were arranged for members ranging from entrance fees of 2/6 to 10 shillings.
During the next decade a Boys Championship was commenced in 1962 and a Veterans meeting in 1964. A county Junior team was formed and played matches against various counties on a regular basis with a Junior Organiser appointed from the early 80’s. A County tie was designed depicting three silver castles on a navy background. They were plain for members and diagonally striped for county players. This has not changed to this day.
The 1970s saw a number of significant changes. Annual dinners were arranged and continue to this day. Players were paid expenses for the first time and in 1973, after five years of discussion a League system was drawn up whereby clubs played each other home or away on alternate years together with a Super 6 league played off scratch. With a significant number of new clubs being formed in the mid and late 1990’s and B teams entered, four divisions have been formed with promotion and relegation on an annual basis. Matches are played on a fourball format.
County cards were introduced in 1987 at £10 each. Members were allowed to play one round on weekdays at participating clubs for a half green fee. In 2011 Glamorgan and Gwent Golf Union clubs joined the scheme. As from 2015 subscription rates will increase to £4 per member and County cards will be issued free of charge. Subscription rates remain at £1 for Juniors.
The Union celebrated its Golden Anniversary with a dinner held at Carmarthen Golf Club on October 12th 2001 organised by Vice Chairman Jeff Harries. Guest speakers were Clive Brown (Walker Cup captain 1995 and 1997) and entertainer Owen Money. In 2004 the Jeff Harries knock-out bowl was established with a greensome foursome format of seven pairs. Teams are drawn on a home or away basis with neutral venues for the semi and final.
In 2015 Dyfed Golfing Union is constituted of 22 clubs. They are: Aberystwyth, Ashburnham, Borth and Ynyslas, Cardigan, Carmarthen, Cilgwyn, Cwmrhydneuadd, Derllys Court, Garnant Park, Glyn Abbey, Glynhir, Haverfordwest, Machynys, Milford Haven, Newport Links, Penrhos, Priskilly Forest, Rosemarket, South Pembs, St Davids, Tenby and Trefloyne.
Compiled in 2015 by Jeff Harries (County Secretary) from County records.